Why Matthew McConaughey Turned Down $14.5 Million to Make Another Rom-Com Movie

Matthew McConaughey is known for the various rom-coms he has made over the years, but he felt he had to make a dangerous change to challenge himself professionally. McConaughey moved on from the genre and, apparently, couldn’t even pull a fat payday back into rom-coms.

Matthew McConaughey will be premiered of 'Kubo And The Two Strings' on August 14, 2016
Mata McConaughey | Axelle / Bauer-Griffin / FilmMagic

Matthew McConaughey didn’t want to do rom-coms

In McConaughey’s new memoir Green lights, he talks about how he didn’t want to do rom-coms anymore, so he started turning them down for stuff that could subdue his talents. Even when he was offered $ 14.5 million to make one, it passed.

“The romantic comedies were my only regular box office beats, which made them the same regular offers that came in,” McConaughey writes in his book (via IndieWire). “For me personally, I enjoyed taking a very romantic moment of the stress of life where they didn’t have to think about anything, just watching the boy running the girl, falling down , and then rising. and finally get it. I had taken the baton from Hugh Grant, and ran with it. ”

It was a turning point in 2010 for the actor, who decided to pursue more challenging careers. While he wrote that he “enjoyed making romantic comedies, and their paychecks on the beach rentals on the beach I ran without a shirt on,” he was ready for a new chapter in his career.

Although he was offered $ 14.5 million in 2010 to perform another rom-com, he said he turned down “the offer.”

He explained, “If I couldn’t do what I wanted, I wouldn’t do what I didn’t do, no matter what the price. ”

Camila Alves, Matthew McConaughey, and Kate Hudson attend the Fifth Annual Baby2Baby Gala
Camila Alves, Matthew McConaughey, and Kate Hudson Stefanie Keenan / Getty Photos for Baby2Baby

McConaughey said he was not challenged

When he talks about his memorial on October 21st Forgive me podcast, McConaughey explained more about why he changed course. The actor said he had been “rolling in rom-coms” which was “very successful” – such as The wedding designer (2001), How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003), and Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009) – but admitted, “I didn’t feel challenged by it. ”

“Those films I wanted to make were like, ‘No, not McConaughey. You’re the shirtless rom-com guy, we don’t let you make this movie. ‘So I said if I can’t do what I want to do, I’m going to stop doing what I’ve been doing,’ he explained.

He considered dumping the rom-coms with his wife Camila Alves. “I looked at Camila and shed many tears on her shoulders,” he recalled. “[I said]’

That meant handing out movie roles he wasn’t interested in – and giving up the big paychecks. “This one is coming in for an $ 8 million offer, but it’s a rom-com so I say no. Coming back with a $ 10 million offer, still no. Coming back with $ 12.5 million offer… [then] $ 14.5 million offer, ”he explained.

“When I got past that, Hollywood got the mark … Another year has passed, nothing comes in … 20 months have passed, and all of a sudden, all of a sudden The Killing of Joe come my way, Mud come my way, Mike’s magic come my way, Paper boy, True Detector, Dallas Buyers Club, ”McConaughey said.

The actor explained that during that time out of work, he was “unbranded” himself. “The industry didn’t see me as a rom-com guy,” so it was “now a new novel, a great idea” for other careers.

“I announced, rebranding,” he said.

Scroll to Top